Section A: The Upper Reaches of the Wuffing Genealogy
These names may be regarded as deriving from pre- or proto-historical dynastic legend, originally preserved in Old English genealogical poetry. Some of the names are alliteratively grouped, and may refer to different origin-myths. The possible meaning of some of the names is suggested.
1. Woden- ancestral father-god of all the Old English royal families
2. Caser - "Kaiser" or "Caesar", symbolically filiated to Woden
4. Trygil - 'Little Boat'?
5. Hroğmund - identifiable as Hroğmund, prince of Denmark in Beowulf (See Chapter 4 of my book)
7. Wilhelm - 'Wolf-Helm'
8. Wehha - "first to rule over the East Anglian folk in Britain" (Historia Brittonum, 59)
9. Wuffa - 'Little Wolf'; "from whom East Anglian kings were thenceforth named Wuffings" (HE, II, 15)
Return to Wuffing Page
© Copyright Dr Sam Newton, Blotmonaş AD 2000